Before you begin – Preparation to catalog – steps to be set up by local or Balsam administrator:
1. Search for an existing record in Balsam libraries (See Notes)
2. Enter the title and/or the author (See Notes)
(Don’t bother to enter articles, prepositions, etc. (“A”, “The”, etc.). Also no need to capitalize any words. However spelling counts).
Note, you can use the Search Filters to narrow the search. For instance “Language material” returns only books.
IF no entries found, try “Refine My Search”:
Check spelling – punctuation marks can be an issue
Try author’s name: can use just last name,
If last name is a common name (Smith, Paulsen…), add first name. You can enter as James Patterson.
If still no entries found, set item aside for “Import Record” work.
Click “Clear form” and start over with the next item.
5. Choose the best match – if you find more than one item for the correct format.
6. Click on item title
7. Choose “Actions for this Record” (top right side of screen).
8. Choose “Holdings Maintenance” (4th line down)
Note: If you are cataloging, you can change the Default when you click on a title to always come up to the “Holdings Maintenance” screen. To do this, in the above menu select “Set Bottom Interface as Default” (near the bottom of this menu).
9. Be sure “Show volumes” and “Show items” boxes are checked, and make sure that your library is selected.
10. Choose the library name – usually #3 under “Location/barcode” (has “0”‘s to the right of the library name)
11. Choose “Actions for Selected Rows”
(You may also choose either “Add Volumes” in blue near the top of the page, or with the row in blue as above, right-click and choose “Add Volumes”)
13. Enter the Volume information.
14. Choose “Edit then Create” button on lower right hand side of screen
15. Choose “Template” which opens menu with choices (First add Copy Templates or see and administrator for help)
Choose template to match item call number and then choose “Apply”
Note: NEVER catalog without using copy templates (too easy to miss things).
Make all the changes needed (If you use Copy Templates, you should only need to change the price.) (see Note on picking prices)
To make a change, simply click in the middle of the box and select your choice. then “Apply” the change. That box then turns green.
(Don’t Click “Close”. That cancels the copy creation)
You should new see your new item in the “Holdings Maintenance Screen”. It should have a “1” in the Volume column and a 1 in the Copies Column. (If not, press “Refresh”)
1a. Search catalog – may choose one of four places to start:
“Search Catalog” in the Tool Bar
From the Top Menu “Cataloging”
Advanced Search on a New Tab
|Or Simply Press the F3 Function Key|
They all take you to the same search page
If you just choose the “Search box”, Evergreen makes a “keyword search” – returns a lot of items besides just the title. We do not recommend using that option.
BE sure to choose Balsam Libraries before searching
2a. For search terms you have choices of key word, title, and author (plus menus for more choices).
Using the title box is often quickest, as many authors have multiple titles and most titles are unique.
Series can be an issue: start with the title of that book in the series For long titles, may use just 1-2-3 key words, in the title line
4a. Ways to narrow the list of titles shown:
If you have more than 40ish+ titles, try “Refine my original search” and add author, add more title works or key words.
(The more terms you add, the fewer results will return)
IF you have 10-40ish titles, use the “sort by relevance to organize” list
Use Search Filters to further narrow your search:
Filter for Books
|Filter for Large Print Books||
Filter for Audience
Filter for DVD
What is the FORMAT of the item? Is it a book, audio book, ebook, DVD, VHS, CD,
Large Print, multimedia kit, journal, graphic novel, abridged version
5. For help choosing the best match:
Ignore the call numbers – these are individual libraries choices
Do NOT add another record if the only difference is the call number
Remember to choose the one with the same title and author
The record with the most “copies” is the best choice!
If there are two choices with the same amount of copies, choose in this order:
1.CMMC, 2.COA, 3.Hartland Public
If none these libraries have a copy, look at both titles and choose the one with the most information: record details, content description, subjects.
If you are unsure, set the item aside for the Level 2 cataloging work
15. Price is a local library decision. For “Price” you can enter just the number (i.e. the number 9 for $9.00) or you can leave this field blank. Some libraries use a standard $5, $10, $15 or $20 price for all books. Or $5 for paperbacks and $20 for hardcovers.