Balsam member libraries have the option to participate in our Interlibrary lending program. As of early 2020 about one third of our libraries participate.
Participating libraries have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (PDF)
Instructions for Using Balsam’s Inter Library Lending
- Library staff and patrons at Balsam ILL libraries are able to request materials directly through the Maine Balsam Libraries Catalog.
- We encourage all patrons to set up an online account (with username and password) so that they can place holds themselves through the OPAC. Patrons can Log In to their account directly from any web browser (typically from their library’s website).
- We salso encourage patrons to add an email address to their library account. This will ensure they get courtesy notices about when items are due and when their requested holds arrive.
- For staff, to place holds on items from any Balsam ILL library, the procedure is the same as placing holds on your library’s items:
- Use the catalog to find an item. Select Place Hold.
- Enter the patron’s barcode, or search for them by name. Choose notification type (email or phone) and pickup location (the default is set to your library). Submit.
- The system decides which item to request. If an item is available at your library that item will be targeted first. If none available at your library, the system makes a random selection for other libraries where the item is available.
Fulfilling Hold Requests
- Run the Pull List for Hold Requests every day at opening. Try to do this when you are turning on the computers and checking the book box to make it a habit. This is especially important before your delivery van goes out.
- Pull these items from the shelf and check them in. This will set their status to “In Transit” if requested by another library or “On Hold Shelf” if requested by your library’s patron.
- For outgoing materials:
- Print two transit slips. One goes into the item. Keep the other in an “ILL” folder somewhere near the circulation desk. (This folder should contain slips for all of your items that have been lent to other libraries)
- Ship the item to the requesting library (either through the van delivery service, or other arrangements with that library)
Circulating & Returning Materials
- When materials from other Balsam ILL libraries arrive, checked them in.
- This will change their status from “In Transit” to “On Hold Shelf” and give you a message about which patron has requested the item. (You do not need to print this message—the info should be the same as on the transit slip.)
- If a patron’s email is printed on the transit slip, they will receive an automatic notice that their hold is available.
- If there is no email, notify the patron by phone that their item has come in.
- When a patron comes to pick up a Balsam ILL item, check it out onto their library account just as we do for items in your own library.
- Stamp or write the due date on the due date card (or a post it, if no due date card in item).
- It is a good idea to have a folder near the Holds Shelf (“Balsam ILL Received”). Place the transit slip in that folder.
- When a patron returns a Balsam ILL item, check it in.
- This will take the item off of our patron’s account and set it to “In Transit” back to its owning library (or to the library of the next patron with a hold on it).
- You do not need to print the transit slip for returns.
- Send the item back to the owning library (and pull the slip from the ILL file)
- When an item is returned from a requesting library
- Check it in. This changes the status from “In Transit” to “Available”
Refusing or Re-routing requests
Honor every hold that you can. If you must, you can redirect a hold (let the system try to find another source), or you may cancel the hold.
If you cancel the hold, you must notify the requesting library, together with the name of the patron who requested the hold.